On Retreat at Harmony Farm!
Benincasa brought members of the parish CSA to Harmony Farm. There Srs. Ellenrita and Didi led a day long retreat that included time to rest, eat, and plant! Everyone was so moved by the day and the innovative program developed by Benincasa Community and the Dominican Sisters. Like a typical CSA, member-shareholders receive a share of Harmony Farm's vegetables each week from June through October. However, they are also uniquely offered opportunities to connect with the land, read each week an except about ecology and spirituality, participate in a cook-off using CSA grown food, learn about the food justice movement (i.e. migrant worker movements, corporatization of seeds) and provide fresh food to our Soup Kitchen. In the next year, we hope to grow and replicate this pilot program in other surrounding parishes.
This month, we celebrate one year of living at Benincasa Community. We "broke ground" and bruised some elbows beginning in April of last year, and the first folks moved in on June 6, 2015! This month marks all that has happened in year one thanks in large part because you showed up and showed your support.
In the last year, Benincasa Community has...
- Hosted 150 overnight guests
- Served hundreds of meals through the soup kitchen
- Embarked on a 13 week study of New Cosmology and the Cosmos
- Helped the Dominican Sisters' Harmony Farm expand its CSA to NYC
- Welcomed the Peace Poets to work and perform each week
- Lived fruitfully and lovingly in a long-term community of 11
- Continued the West Side Jesuit Feast tradition
- Held 5 Sounds of Action concerts
We look forward to our continued growth and evolution, and will welcome all of you as we walk together along the way. We will post events and opportunities in each month's newsletter.